Lime Talk supports communication via XMPP/Jabber protocol.
This article contains general instructions on how to set up Lime Talk on your mobile, regardless of platform. For device-specific instructions, you can look here: Installing Chat on Apple (Trillian) or here: Installing Chat on Android (Xabber).
What you will need
To set up Lime Talk on your mobile device, you need three things:
- Lime Talk account
- XMPP/Jabber account
- XMPP/Jabber application installed on your mobile device
1. Lime Talk account
If you don't have one yet, just sign up sign up.
2. XMPP/Jabber Account
You may easily create your XMPP/Jabber account here Xabber or here XMPP JP or here JabbIM. Just choose a username and password, verify that you are not a robot and click “Register”. If your chosen username is available, you should receive a message confirming successful registration.
3. XMPP/Jabber Application
XMPP/Jabber is an open platform, so several applications are available for each operating system. We have tested some of them for you:
iOS (iPhone / iPad / iPod): Trillian (registration with Trillian required)
In the same way, you can link Lime Talk to a desktop application. This is useful when you don’t want to have web browser with the Lime Talk client zone permanently opened.
Windows: pidgin.im, trillian.im (registration with Trillian required)
OS X (Mac): adium.im, psi-im.org
Final Step: Connect your XMPP/Jabber application with your Lime Talk account
- Log into Lime Talk client zone.
- Click on your name in the upper right-hand corner and navigate to Communication through mobile devices.
- There you will find an authorization code which you will need later in your XMPP/Jabber app.
- Open the XMPP/Jabber app and add the address “email@example.com” as your new contact.
- Once you have added “firstname.lastname@example.org” as your new contact, send it a new message with your authorization code. The message should look something like “!setup 743876556c4b716167773d3d”.
- Right away, you will receive a confirmation message and another 5 Lime Talk contacts will ask you to add them in your contact list. Accept their requests. Each of these contacts (called “bot”) will serve as a connector for one of your visitors you can chat with. Lime Talk has 6 chat bots, so you can communicate with up to 6 visitors at a time.
From now on, just be online in your XMPP/Jabber app and visitors will see you are online on your website. Once a visitor sends you a message, you will receive notification in your app. If you want to be offline, just log out of the mobile app.